Wednesday, February 25, 2009

6 Weeks Post-Op






Well today is 6 weeks since my first surgery.  I am officially halfway to my second and final surgery.  Recovery has been great so far.  There's only been a few changes in the past few weeks.  The one I am most excited about was taking my last pill of Prednisone.  It is a nasty drug that I have been on for over a year.  So, I am officially not taking any medications for ulcerative colitis! This is the first time since I was diagnosed at 17!  I have also changed the appliance that I wear.  At first I was using a one piece, transparent bag which is what I was given in the hospital.  I wasn't a huge fan of being able to see all the "output" so I changed to a two piece, beige appliance.  I can tolerate the bag a little better now since I don't have to see the contents every time I look at it.  The new bag also has a smaller adhesive area that attaches to my skin, thus a smaller area that can become irritated.  I have slowly become more active over the weeks.  I was able to make a trip out to Dallas for the Mardi Gras parades with my family.  We had a great time and it was really nice to finally get out of the house for awhile.  I have also been able to get back into my parents' hot tub.  I missed it after a month of not being able to get in.  I am meeting with my surgeon on Monday and will hopefully be able to schedule a date for my second surgery.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting off the Prednisone...what a horrible horrible drug. My face blew up like a macy's balloon, changed my moods in a wink. You would think they could find another anti-inflammatory drug other than this one.
    I had to wait 3months for my 2nd surgery date, mainly because I wasn't healthy enough to withstand the surgery...I hope yours is sooner than later! Congrats on feeling better!!!
    I know its weird that we don't know each other, but my heart just completely goes out to anyone who has to deal with this nasty illness and who has or is goign through what I did...if you ever have any questions from someone who was in your shoes, my email is punkasss8@yahoo.com (yes, 3 s's, haha) Take care

    Valerie C
    Portland, ME

    ReplyDelete