Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day after surgery!!




It is my first day after surgery and it went almost perfectly.  The operation lasted 5 hours then I had another hour in recovery.  There were a few spots which bled a little heavy after being cut it was an easy fix for the surgeon.  I am on a liquid diet only and can't wait to get my hands on some pizza, a burger, or a chicken fried steak.  The nurses here are great and take really good care of me.  I was even able to get out of bed about 30 minutes ago, I walked to my bathroom and wiped off with towels then walked back on my own.  I have 3 small incisions(an inch) where the tools could get through, another one about 2 inches were my stoma is and then a larger 6 inch incision below by belt where the colon was removed.  I have a little button to push for morphine, which has gotten plenty of use. I can push it once every 8 minutes which it plenty. 

7 comments:

  1. yay Pumpkin! YOu've been in all of our prayers and we are just so thrilled that everything went so smoothly! I'll definitely pop for a burger when you get outta that joint. Chapps anyone? Maybe Jackson's grill? Your pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Pumpkin. I am so happy that you are UC FREE. I will try to get some much needed sleep tonight. Duke misses you and can't wait for you to get home. I ope Dad's snoring doesn't keep you up.

    See you in the morning.

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your blog link on JPouch.net.
    Glad to hear your surgery went well. I am probably going to have the jpouch surgery done soon too, so it's always nice to see another's perspective. :)
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats dude. Couldn't be happier that you have finally gotten rid of it and ready to move forward. Keep the updates coming and I hope you enjoy tying flies. We'll all have to go fishing with your creations coming up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris- I'm a friend of your smarty pants sister Katie, and have heard about your long ordeal. Just wanted to let you know how happy I am for you & wishing you all the best with a speedy recovery. Don't take any crap (no pun intended) from those nurses or techs! I think it's wonderful you are blogging to help others going through a similar situation. Hang in there...& let Katie know if she needs to type up the new pill/M spreadsheet in excel. She LOVES excel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi...was researching J-pouch surgery, and you're story happened to come up. I myself have had a the J-pouch procedure in July of 2007...
    It's amazing to be UC free, isn't it? You're quality of life will be so much better, I promise, hang in there with the yucky ileostomy, its depressing but it will get better. Stay hydrated if you want to stay out of the ER, at the end of it all the ER knew me on a first name basis. Be brave, stay positive and congrats on being UC free.

    Valerie C
    Portland, Maine

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just had ileo done 4 weeks ago and im loving it. 1 year from now ill be getting a j pouch. after 8 years of pains, bleeding and steriods im finally able to live a normal life

    ReplyDelete