Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Night Before Surgery


Well it's the night before step one of my j-pouch surgery.  I am finishing up my prep and can't believe it took till now to find one that is bearable.  I have had 4 colonoscopies using Movi-prep each time and dreaded doing the prep.  The taste of the mix and the amount of liquid I had to drink made for a miserable experience.  This time the docs did things a little different.  I took 4 Dulcolax at 3 this afternoon.  The next step was to mix a bottle of Miralax powder with 64 ounces of Gatorade, you can't taste the powder and the 64 ounces of Gatorade (8 ounces every 15 minutes).  I still got the same "effects" but did not mind drinking the solution.  
The only other thing that I need to do to be ready for the surgery is to wipe my body down with antibacterial wipes that the hospital supplied during my pre-test last week.  I'll clean my whole body tonight before bed then wipe my abdomen before I leave for the hospital in the morning.
The picture here is my stomach the night before surgery.  I had to shave with clippers because the surgeon said that razors will irritate the skin too much before surgery.  The little circle with the 'x' in the center is not a new tattoo. It is the location marked where my stoma will be.  The nurse marked it last week.  It is right above my belt line and below where my stomach folds when I sit down. 
My weight today was 154lbs.

6 comments:

  1. Good Luck Brother!! Here's to kicking Colitis 2009!!! I'm sitting here with Chris tonight as he gets ready for surgery. We are taking Vodka and Miralax shots( i call it a Russian Blast!) I love you man, I'll be sitting in the waiting room tomorrow and will be there when you wake up.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to do great! I'm there in spirit.
    Love you,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. prayers are with you buddy! If you don't mind me asking... what’s a J-Pouch? you’re not going gay on me are you? (Joke). Let me know how everything went brother.
    -Rance

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, my name is Michael Teeter....my wife (Jeana)is a good friend of your sister Jodie. She showed me this website b/c I had this surgery back in Jan of 1998. I can relate to everything you have been through till now with your battle in fighting ulcertive colitis, and will be glad to tell you that you will live a much better life after this surgery. The recovery is not easy I will tell you, BUT the lifestyle change you will experience a year from now will make it all worth wild! Feel free to email or call me if you have any questions. This blog thing would have been fun to track my progress....good luck...I will try and visit this site and see how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello I just wanted to let you know that I had this surgery and I know what you are going through. I had the first part done in September 08 & I spent my 30 b-day in the hospital. I had the secound part done in Nov.08 I was in the hospital for 2weeks after my 1st surgery. I understand the cleaning and changeing and how hard it was to look at the stoma.My name is Bonnie if you need help or have question or just need to talk my email is cosmoboo@mail.com Thanks and my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete